About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, June 17, 2024

Modi government plans to prosecute Arundhati Roy.



Arundhati Roy, the internationally recognized author and activist, is currently wanted by the Indian authorities. This comes after the Lieutenant General of Delhi granted police permission to prosecute the Booker Prize-winning novelist under a draconian anti-terrorism statute called the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act. This statute allows the state to incarcerate a person before they’re given a trial.

Though long in the crosshairs of India’s far-right administration for her outspoken critique of the BJP (Prime Minister Modi’s proto-fascist ruling party), Roy’s specifically being targeted for remarks she made in a 2010 speech.

At a conference at the Little Theatre Group in New Delhi, Roy delivered a lecture critiquing India’s “extractive colonial economy,” and the state’s occupation and administration of Kashmir. Her critics at the time decried this as a call for Kashmiri secession.

Read more: Literary Hub

No comments: