About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Gouging Canadian book buyers

"Those few book-reading Canadians who have not bought a copy of The Da Vinci Code can expect to pay $10.99 for the paperback, rather than the $7.99 (U.S.) asked of American customers. Before exchange and taxes, that is a face-value premium of 38 per cent. The audio version costs $44.95 or 50 per cent more, before exchange and taxes, than the $29.95 (U.S.) price tag.
Those taxes, before the imminent GST reduction of 1 per cent, amount to 15 per cent in Quebec. No American pays as much tax.
It is apparent to everyone who buys U.S. publications that the Canadian price represents something close to theft in the era of the 90-cent dollar."

No comments: