About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Friday, October 26, 2018

Tsundoku, the benefits of owning more books than you can read

"Read books are far less valuable than unread ones. [Your] library should contain as much of what you do not know as your financial means, mortgage rates, and the currently tight real-estate market allows you to put there. You will accumulate more knowledge and more books as you grow older, and the growing number of unread books on the shelves will look at you menacingly. Indeed, the more you know, the larger the rows of unread books. Let us call this collection of unread books an antilibrary."
Read more here

(The photo layout above shows just a few of the books I have collected over the years. We are planning to downsize and the benefits I have reaped from having so many unread books are outweighed by the pressure to rid myself of the library.)

2 comments:

Stubblejumpers Cafe said...

Oh it is hard to part with books, read or unread!
Though much easier when one can someone to take them.
I recently gave a stack of cookbooks to the local library, so I could make room on my bookshelf. It wasn't too hard; I hardly use cookbooks anymore, what with almost any recipe easily found on the internet now. And I tend to use only certain favourite cookbooks anyway.
Good luck lightening your own load! -Kate

The Nag said...

I gave 230 cookbooks to our library's sale 2 years ago and have donated several truck loads to a mammoth sale a local women's shelter holds each year but have barely made a dent in our collection. Our solution to too many books was to buy new bookcases. Getting rid of some of those would probably be a smart move.