About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, November 08, 2018

How Much Editing Was Done to Emily Dickinson's Poems After She Died?



"Before Emily Dickinson died in 1886, her sister Lavinia promised that she would burn Emily’s papers. But when she discovered a cache of almost 1,800 poems that her sister had written, Lavinia instead sought to find someone who could help bring this unique poetry to the world. That person turned out to be Mabel Loomis Todd."
Todd enlisted Colonel Thomas Wentworth Higginson to join her in the editing project.  In her forthcoming book, After Emily: Two Remarkable Women and the Legacy of America’s Greatest Poet, Julie Dobrow looks at the debate that ensued over the editorial choices that they made.



Read more: Literary Hub

No comments: