About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, January 28, 2019

Hear Neil Gaiman Read a Poem by Ursula K. Le Guin

 Brain Picking’s Maria Popova was asked to recommend a poem that Neil Gaiman could read aloud to his cousin on her 100th birthday. She chose How It Seems To Me, a late-in-life poem by science fiction writer Ursula K. Le Guin, a close friend of Gaiman’s who died in January of 2018, 12 years shy of her own centenary:


Neil Gaiman reads Ursula K. Le Guin's ode to timelessness to his 100-year-old cousin from Maria Popova on Vimeo.

HOW IT SEEMS TO ME 
In the vast abyss before time, self
is not, and soul commingles
with mist, and rock, and light. In time,
soul brings the misty self to be.
Then slow time hardens self to stone
while ever lightening the soul,
till soul can loose its hold of self
and both are free and can return
to vastness and dissolve in light,
the long light after time.

More: Open Culture

No comments: