About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Saturday, March 09, 2019

Literary Confessions Unearthed

While sorting through the papers of his grandmother, the novelist Margaret Kennedy, William Mackesy found a book titled “Really and Truly: A Book of Literary Confessions”. Within were pages of printed questions with 10 sets of handwritten answers dated between 1923 and 1927. They were written by Rose Macaulay, Rebecca West, Hilaire Belloc, Stella Benson, Virginia Woolf, Margaret Kennedy and others.
"Some things don’t change: there is little consensus on anything, save that all think Shakespeare the greatest genius among writers who ever lived, except for Belloc, who voted for Homer, and Macaulay, who... didn’t know."

Read more: The Independent

No comments: