About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Wednesday, October 09, 2019

World’s first travel guide goes on display

 Illustration of Jerusalem by Erhard Reuwich
in Bernhard von Breydenbach’s Peregrinatio in Terram Sanctam.
Photograph: British Museum

The world’s earliest example of a travel guide goes on display later this week as part of the exhibition Inspired by the east: how the Islamic world influenced western art. The 500-year-old book was written by Bernhard von Breydenbach in 1486, following his pilgrimage to the Holy Land from 1483-1484, and features illustrations of Venice and Jerusalem made by the Dutch artist Erhard Reuwich, who travelled with the writer.

More:The Guardian

No comments: