About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Friday, November 08, 2019

"House Of The Dead" to be turned into a 56-room hostel.


There are plans afoot for the Georgian house where James Joyce’s aunts ran a music school and hosted Christmas parties, and which Joyce used as the setting for his short story “The Dead”  to be turned into a hostel.

A letter calling on the Minister for Culture and Dublin City Council to protect the landmark.was signed by 99 writers, artists, and academics, Irish and otherwise, including Sally Rooney, Ian McEwan, Julian Barnes, Edmund White, Anne Enright, Michael Ondaatje, Claire Messud, Eavan Boland, Edna O’Brien, John Banville, Tessa Hadley, Salman Rushdie, Paul Muldoon, André Aciman, Rachel Kushner, Kevin Barry, Colm Tóibín, Tobias Wolff, Fintan O’Toole, and Alice McDermott.

Read the letter: Literary Hub

No comments: