About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, July 27, 2020

Henslowe's Diary ... as a Blog!

This site will take you on a day-by-day journey through the life of an Elizabethan theatre during the age of Shakespeare.

The Privy Council in 1604. Detail
from The Somerset House Conference

"On this day, 424 years ago, the Rose playhouse was forced to close for several months. The Privy Council of England was concerned about the return of the plague that had devastated London a couple of years previously. On 22nd July, they ordered an end to the performing of plays, as a way of preventing large gatherings of people.
As I write today in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic that has forced theatres to close around the world, the words of the Privy Council in 1596 sound as though they could have been written yesterday."

Read More: Henslowe's Diary ... as a Blog!

Via MeFi

No comments: