About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, March 11, 2021

The Court and Kitchen of Elizabeth, Commonly Called Joan Cromwell, the Wife of the Late Usurper

In 1664 opponents of Oliver Cromwell published his family recipes, with a side of fake news. The Cromwell Museum in Huntingdon, England is selling copies of one of the strangest cookbooks ever published.

 

This 17th-century cookbook contains both recipes and propaganda. ALL IMAGES COURTESY OF THE CROMWELL MUSEUM, HUNTINGDON, UK

"It would be a bit like today, if you were to go out and buy a cookery book [supposedly] written by Michelle Obama and the first third of it was an essay by Donald Trump saying how awful Barack Obama was," says Orme. But the writer primarily aimed his scorn at Elizabeth, for unknown reasons. Even the full title of the book, The Court and Kitchen of Elizabeth, Commonly Called Joan Cromwell, the Wife of the Late Usurper, contains an insult against her. Elizabeth's nickname wasn't Joan. Instead, 'Joan' was a term of the era for a prostitute."

 

Read More: Gastro Obscura

No comments: