About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

The Sympathizer

I've been reading positive reviews of Viet Thanh Nguyen's new novel, 'The Committed'. I learned that it is the follow-up to the Pulitzer Prize winning 'The Sympathizer' written in 2016 and decided to read that one first to provide context to the second novel and also to hear the story of the American debacle in Vietnam from an Asian perspective. Although it started off dramatically with the chaotic evacuation of Saigon, once the setting changed to California I found my attention wandering. I continued on until I was two-thirds through the book when I decided to put it down because, despite moments that sparked my interest, I was bored. Perhaps I'll pick it up again and will have something more substantial to say about my reading experience.

No comments: