About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Sunday, May 30, 2021

Reservoir 13

 

Reservoir 13 is British writer Jon McGregor's fourth novel. Becky, a 13 year old girl disappears while walking in the hills while on vacation with her parents. A massive search is undertaken with intense media coverage but the girl is not found. Meanwhile life goes on for the villagers and the natural world continues as it always has. There are many characters of varying ages and walks of life. None are unaffected by the disappearance of the young girl. Each chapter describes one of the thirteen years following the incident, following the births, romances, family upheavals, illnesses, community gatherings and deaths in the village. The seasons flow and birds, bats, badgers, foxes, pets and farm animals go through their life cycles as well. I read the Kindle edition and didn't realize that there was an index of characters so initially I had difficulty identifying everyone but once I figured out who was who I became more engaged. Becky's disappearance continues to touch the town's inhabitants for many years after the search parties have given up and gone home.

There is a rhythm to the way McGregor tells the story that is almost soothing as we wait for the mystery of Becky's disappearance to be revealed. The story moves along like a poem, not a police procedural. It's beautifully written and true to life.

No comments: