About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Sylvia Plath's Recipe Cards and Rolling Pin



"Although she was acutely aware of the tension between domesticity and artistic creation, Sylvia Plath loved to cook and refers often to her love for cooking and baking in her journals and elsewhere. She read commercial cookbooks such as The Joy of Cooking "like a rare novel" but also enjoyed cooking from family recipes. These cards are typed on two different typewriters: half of them appear to have been typed by Sylvia Plath, the other half were probably sent to her by her mother Aurelia."

These are part of a cache of Plath’s letters and personal items – including her wedding ring, a captioned photo album and her drawings of Ted Hughes that are on the block at Sotheby's. Better hurry - this lot closes in a few hours!

No comments: