About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Saturday, July 30, 2022

The Search for the Funniest Crime Novel Ever Written

Illustration by Floc’h


I have always found the snappy patter in noir detective novels absolutely hilarious. Many, many years ago I had a t-shirt made with an image of Raymond Chandler private eye, Philip Marlowe, wearing a fedora and the quote "Not peculiar, just uninhibited" (from Farewell My Lovely) emblazoned on it. I wore that shirt until it was threadbare.

CrimeReads has compiled a list of the funniest crime novels ever written. I agree with some of these choices (i.e. Carl Hiassen). Patricia Highsmith? Nope, not so funny. But I might add the under-appreciated Canadian crime writer Sparkle Hayter to the list.


No comments: