About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, August 25, 2022

The Patrick Melrose Novels

Edward St. Aubyn spent almost twenty years writing The Patrick Melrose Novels and it felt like I spent nearly as long reading the five novels. The story of Patrick Melrose from his childhood to adulthood is a harrowing one - child abuse, drug addiction, dementia - and every character, with the possible exception of Patrick's wife Mary, is revolting. They are wealthy beyond belief but never rich enough, they are entitled, they are nasty, they are bitter and snide and wish no one well. If asked to say something positive about the series the best I could come up with is "At least Patrick didn't rape his own two sons". After spending most of my summer with these brutal depraved characters I felt like I needed a shower. What kept me reading? Probably the vicious wit. I want my summer back.

No comments: