About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, October 20, 2022

Tonstant Weader Fwowed up.

On this day in 1928 Dorothy Parker (writing under the byline “Constant Reader” in The New Yorker) wrote this review of A. A. Milne's The House at Pooh Corner :

As they are trotting along against the flakes, Piglet begins to weaken a bit.
‘ “Pooh,” he said at last, and a little timidly, because he didn’t want Pooh to think he was Giving In, “I was just wondering. How it would be if we went home now and practiced your song, and sang it to Eeyore tomorrow–or–or the next day, when we happen to see him.”

‘ “That’s a very good idea, Piglet,” said Pooh. “We’ll practice it now as we go along. But it’s no good going home to practice it, because it’s a special Outdoor Song which Has To Be Sung In The Snow.”

‘ “Are you sure?” asked Piglet anxiously.

‘ “Well, you’ll see, Piglet, when you listen. Because this is how it begins. The more it snows, tiddley-pom–”

‘ “Tiddley what?” said Piglet.’ (He took, as you might say, the very words out of your correspondent’s mouth.)

‘ “Pom,” said Pooh. “I put that in to make it more hummy.”‘

And it is that word ‘hummy,’ my darlings, that makes the first place in The House at Pooh Corner at which Tonstant Weader Fwowed up.

(She didn't care for it.) 

No comments: