About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Andrea Thompson / A Selected History of Soul Speak

My friend, poet Eva Tihanyi, launched her new collection, Circle Tour, in St. Catharines today. She invited Toronto poet Andrea Thompson. Here is an example of her powerful work:
"This piece traces the influence of Black North American history and culture on the development of spoken word poetry. The poem begins during slavery and documents key moments in the history of Black poetics right up to present day. It is a celebration of just a few of the heroes of the art form, and some of the influences that have contributed to the development of my own poetic style."

 

No comments: