Friday, September 18, 2026

A Poem by Denis Johnson

 Looking Out the Window Poem

By Denis Johnson


The sounds of traffic   

die over the back lawn   

to occur again in the low   

distance.


The voices, risen, of

the neighborhood cannot   

maintain that pitch   

and fail briefly, start   

up again.


Similarly my breathing rises   

and falls while I look out   

the window of apartment   

number three in this slum,   

hoping for rage, or sorrow.


They don’t come to me   

anymore. How can I lament   

anything? It is all

so proper, so much

as it should be, now


the nearing cumulus   

clouds, ominous,   

shift, they are like the

curtains, billowy,   

veering at the apex

of their intrusion on the room.

If I am alive now,   

it is only


to be in all this

making all possible.   

I am glad to be

finally a part

of such machinery. I was   

after all not so fond

of living, and there comes

into me, when I see   

how little I liked

being a man, a great joy.


Look out our astounding

clear windows before evening.   

It is almost as if

the world were blue

with some lubricant,

it shines so.


Copyright Credit: Denis Johnson, “Looking Out the Window Poem” from The Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nations Millennium General Assembly: Poems Collected and New. 

Via TMN

No comments: