About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Happy Birthday Raymond Chandler


“Tall, aren’t you?” she said.
“I didn’t mean to be.”
Her eyes rounded. She was puzzled. She was thinking. I could see, even on that short acquaintance, that thinking was always going to be a bother to her.
—Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep

The above quote in the Paris Review brought back a lot of memories.

Raymond Chandler, master of the hard-boiled detective genre, was born on this day in 1888. Once I got my first taste of Marlowe's witty crime fiction I was hooked. I read everything he'd ever written.
An eon ago a friend who knew I was an avid  Raymond Chandler fan screened a t-shirt for me with Philip Marlowe's face and the words "Not peculiar - just uninhibited" across the front. I wore that shirt until it was a faded rag.

This might be my all time favourite Marlowe quote:
“I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room.”
If you enjoy Marlowe's snappy patter you'll like this site.

No comments: