About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Paris:A Love Story

I picked this book up at the library and looked forward to reading an in depth account of life in Paris, my favourite city. I was disappointed because the Paris of foreign correspondent, Kati Marton, came off as superficial. She spent a great deal of time in Paris over many years but did not venture very far out of the Latin Quarter. She seems to have been more of a tourist than someone who lived in the city. It was only after the death of her husband that she visited Parc Monceau or the Paris Mosque or the Parc des Buttes-Chaumont. As a tourist I have walked every inch of that city. 
She writes about her relationships with news anchor Peter Jennings and American diplomat and ambassador Richard Holbrooke. Again these anecdotes also have a superficial ring. This is a short book and it seems like an outline for a more comprehensive memoir. I did enjoy this though. 

No comments: