About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Friday, April 11, 2014

Dorothy Parker Reads “Inscription for the Ceiling of a Bedroom”



Click to hear Parker read this rare 1926 recording. 



Daily dawns another day;

I must up, to make my way.

Though I dress and drink and eat,

Move my fingers and my feet,

Learn a little, here and there,

Weep and laugh and sweat and swear,

Hear a song, or watch a stage,

Leave some words upon a page,

Claim a foe, or hail a friend –

Bed awaits me at the end.

 Though I go in pride and strength,

 I’ll come back to bed at length.

Though I walk in blinded woe,

Back to bed I’m bound to go.

High my heart, or bowed my head,

All my days but lead to bed.

Up, and out, and on; and then

Ever back to bed again,

Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall

 –
I’m a fool to rise at all!



Via Brain Pickings

No comments: