About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Monday, January 25, 2021

Address to the Tunnock's Snowball



In 2009, to celebrate Rabbie Burns' birthday, Scottish author Craig McGill wrote a poem dedicated to the Tunnock's Snowball, a Scottish treat. It is a riff on Robert Burns's Address To A Haggis and was written in thanks for the large donation that Tunnock’s made to support the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum that opened in 2010:
Fair fa’ coconut sprinkled face,
Great chieftain o the teacake-race!
Aboon them a’ ye tak your place,
mallow, choc, or cream:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang’s my arm.

Here is the original:

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my arm.

Link 

 

No comments: