About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Friday, March 20, 2020

Marine Biologist Published First Atlas of Cephalopods in 1910

In 1898, Carl Chun, a German marine biologist, set off on the steamboat Valdivia to explore the deep ocean on a yearlong voyage along the West Coast of South Africa, the Gulf of Guinea, the Antarctic Sea, and part of the Indian Ocean. He and his colleagues collected, writes the Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL), “as many biological samples as possible” and the “results of the expedition lead to 24 volumes” published over the course of forty years as Ergebnisse der Deutschen Tiefsee-Expedition auf dem Dampfer “Valdivia” 1898-1899, or Scientific Results of the German Deep-Sea Expedition on the Steamer “Valdivia” 1898-1899.

 While on the expedition, Chun discovered a species so terrifying,
he called it Vampyrotheuthis infernalis, or “vampire squid from hell


See video of the vampire squid from hell 

More: Flashbak

No comments: